HU Coaches

Studenten psychologist

If you experience mental health issues which may/will delay your study progress, contact your Study Career Coach/Team Learning Coach to discuss the matter and you may well be referred the Student Counsellor. The latter can, in turn, refer you to a Student Psychologist, if needs be.

How Can the Student Psychologist Help?

If you are troubled by concentration problems, lack of motivation, social issues when socialising with fellow students or lecturers, personal issues, find it hard to live in lodgings, loneliness, unprocessed issues, depression, insomnia, excessive use of alcohol and/or drugs, you can call on the Students Psychologist for short term psychological help.

If the help the HU Student Psychologist gives you does not meet your needs, then the Student Psychologist can advise you on the possibilities for help within the regular Dutch mental health system, Geestelijke Gezondheidszorg (GGZ), and beyond. Your GP is the only one qualified to refer you to external psychological or psychiatric help.

You can also consult your GP directly if you are experiencing mental health issues, he can help you as well.

The Student Psychologist does not deal with students with acute critical mental issues. In that case you should contact your GP and make sure you are referred to the General Health Care (GGZ)/Crisis Care Support in your place of residence.

What Can the Student Psychologist Do??

The Student Psychologist will look at your issues during an intake and determine what kind of help you need. Apart from short-term, psychological assistance, you can join a training session on fear of failure (performance anxiety).


A visit to the Student Psychologist is completely free of charge for HU students.


The information will be treated strictly confidential, in conformation with the regulations of the Nederlands Instituut voor Psychologen (NIP, Dutch Institute for Psychologists) and the GPDR.

Referral and Meeting Student Psychologist

You can only make an appointment with the Student Psychologist if you have been referred by the Student Counsellor or Confidential Counsellor.  Only then you can contact them by email.


The Student Counsellor or Confidential Counsellor sends you a form by email (completed by him/her) as well as an Application Form (to be completed by you) to refer you. Both forms may be returned by email. You will be contact within three working days after your application, to schedule an appointment for the intake.
If you are unable to attend the meeting, please cancel at least 24 hours in advance, preferably even earlier by emailing or phoning the Student Psychologist (leave a voicemail).

Information Student Counsellor for Referral:

Contact the Student Counsellors: If you wish to make an appointment, you can phone daily between 10:00 am and 12:00 am to: 088-4813322.

Switch to English Nederlands