In collaboration with Utrecht University (UU) School of Economics, Hogeschool Utrecht (HU) offers ambitious students in the Institutes of Business Economics (Finance & Accounting), International Business Studies and Business Administration the possibility to complete a pre-masters track as a minor during their HBO bachelors’. The track prepares you for a wide range of 4 masters’ tracks offered by the Graduate School of Economics at UU.
In term A and B, you take four courses (total of 30 EC) at Utrecht University School of Economics: Corporate Finance, Micro Economics, Econometrics and Macro Economics. 30 EC are required to finish your HU Minor and thus to be able to graduate at HU. In term C, you take the Applied Economics Research Course, which is not required by HU to finish your minor track, but it is an entry requirement for the UU masters’ programmes. At the end of term C you start with your HU final thesis / internship, which you complete during the summer. After graduating at HU, you can start your UU master’s programme in September.
- You can save a year, because you can finish your pre-master track during your HBO bachelor’s programme and start your UU master’s programme in September after graduating at HU.
- Taking the HU-UU pre-masters track makes it much easier to bridge the gap between University of Applied Science (HBO) and the University, because you get additional support tutorials at HU on the courses you take (Corporate Finance, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics). This is something you do not get if you take a pre-masters track after graduating from HU.
- During the pre-masters track, you can gain skills that are very useful in future jobs and studies
- Ambitious students can show that they can perform above average.
After completing the HU-UU pre masters’ programme, you can take one of the following master’s tracks at Utrecht University: Banking & Finance, Financial management, International management, Business Development & Entrepreneurship. All tracks lead to a degree in International Economics & Business.
The co-ordinator of the track is Roderick Udo (firstname.lastname@example.org). Rounds of admission interviews will be held. Specific dates are to be announced.
Students of IBMS are requested to first contact email@example.com for questions about fitting the track in with their study planning before making and admission interview appointment.
The general entry requirements for pre masters at Utrecht School of Economics apply. This means that you need:
- EITHER a grade of 7.5 or higher for all of your 1st and 2nd and 3rd year HBO courses OR a GMAT score of at least 600 or GRE score of at least 315. Your scores on ‘verbal’ and‘quantitative’ in those tests are important. If you have a test score of 550-599 (GMAT) or 309-314 (GRE) and you can prove exceptional motivation, please contact the co-ordinator of the track at HU.
- Please note that you have to pass all 1st, 2nd and 3rd year courses at HU to be accepted to the pre masters (1st and 2nd year for IBMS fast track students). No retakes at HU possible during the pre master track.
- You must be highly motivated. The programme co-ordinator decides on your application after a compulsory admission interview.
- It is important to have a sufficient level in mathematics.
- This track is in English, so you need sufficient knowledge of the English language.
The only additional cost involved in the pre masters’ programme is the tuition fee for the mathematics summer course, which is roughly 200 euros.
 Taking part in this pre-master track does not guarantee access to masters’ programmes at other universities than UU. You can discuss entry requirements for other universities’ masters’ with the student advisors at those universities.
 If you have a test score of 550-599 (GMAT) or 309-314 (GRE) and you can prove exceptional motivation, please contact the co-ordinator of the track.